Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What's the English name for...?

No, not the plume on the front: the piece of red cloth hanging on the side of the colpack, along with the pompon.
In the picture: "Trompette du 1er chasseurs à cheval, compagnie d'élite, en grande tenue."


Steve said...

I've always thought it was called the "bag" - as in something you carry stuff around in... as per here:

Stokes Schwartz said...

Yep, I've also seen in referred to as the "busby bag" in a number of English language sources on Napoleonic uniforms.

Best Regards,