Wednesday, July 2, 2008

On the road

Hello from the airport!

Fo this long weekend, I am flying to Upstate New York, and I will be in the historic Mohawk Valley, theatre of some intense campaigning during the American War of Independence. My vacation in the area, though, has nothing to do with miniature wargaming, nor history: it will be completely dedicated to the other major and consuming passion of Desto Fante, i.e. opera.

The weather here has not been good, so we are facing some delay. Fortunately, I had a couple of good books with me. I doubt my readers will enthusiastically howl to the moon for "Monetary Policy Strategy", by Federal Reserve governor Frederic Mishkin, but I also took along Paddy Griffith's "The Art of War of Revolutionary France, 1789-1802." Interestingly, his first illustration at page 160 is... the mill of Valmy! When you say the coincidence...

Expect light posting between now and monday - but I will have Internet connection, so I hope to be able to offer some insight every now and then. Maybe during intermission.

3 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

As they say backstage before the opera, "merde" (it is like "break a leg" in the theatre).

Enjoy your trip.

And, by the way, I've been paid to perform in a number of operas . . . even though I don't sing! There are actually lots of non-singing roles in many operas.


-- Jeff

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Desto - are you a singer, or a technician, or just a fan??

I too like an opera every now again - I think my favourites are Madame Butterfly, but expecially Lakme

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Enjoy your time away!

Best Regards,

Stokes