Friday, July 18, 2008

No comment needed



Not indeed, I suspect... and now you know what I have been working on this evening. I guess this is good news for all my "tricorne" friends!
It has been, professionally speaking, a busy week, which only allowed occasional painting time. And since I have not completely given up on those 15mm OG Prussians and Austrians, I figured out they might well be my "filler" for the down time. As you see, some minor progresses have been accomplished. Again, these are tough figures, and I am actually contemplating a few adjustment to my painting style in order to proceed in a smoother way. But, I guess, the project is going, despite all the initial uncertainties.
On this very same matter. I had a very nice conversation with Tom Dye at Minifigs today. It is always a great pleasure chatting with him - his enthusiasm about the hobby is contagious. And I found out he is a big fan of SYW and the Marlburian period. In fact, he shared with me some exciting development for these ranges at Minifigs. Of course, I am not spilling the beans here - enough to say that some good, good stuff is on the way!
On a less positive note -- my order of SYW and WSS samples was sent to the wrong address. Bummer. We are working to a solution, but it likely means I will not see any Minifigs sample before Historicon. And I am not happy about it.
And since we are on SYW-WSS topics: today I printed out a very interesting article. It is the "files" section of one of the Yahoo groups, either the "old school wargaming" or "lacewars." Or "syw"? Anyway. The title is "Fictitious Wars', by N.H. Hyde. Not sure where it is from - looks like a pdf from some old newsletter. But this is the most extensive treatment of the "imaginations" ideaI had the opportunity to read thus far, and I am very, very intrigued. I suspect that, sooner rather than later, I will start looking for some of C. Grant's books. For the time being, I am beginning to see the possibilities... and I like them! I will elaborate further in the near future.
I will be gone for the weekend. I am taking off tomorrow to the Mohawk Valley again, for... well, for "another op'ning of another show." But I will be back on Sunday night, and I have a long-ish layover in the National Capital tomorrow. So maybe I will post between now and Sunday night. Who knows. In any case - you all enjoy a great summer* weekend!


* And yes, I am fortunate enough to have readers from "down under"... I just hope the winter won't be too harsh on you, guys!

3 comments:

MiniWargamer said...

I believe he published that in Wargames Illustrated. I think if you search the OSW list archives you'll find something about it.

Bluebear Jeff said...

Henry is now the Editor of "BATTLEGAMES" magazine and has been republishing the whole of his "fictious wars" writing in a series of articles in that magazine.

US subscriptions (and back issues as well as Grant's books) are available from "On Military Matters" bookstore:

http://onmilitarymatters.com/

You can also download .pdf versions of some of the early (now sold out) issues from the Battlegames website:

http://www.battlegames.co.uk/

It is a good magazine . . . and OMM has lots of good books on the WSS too (including the Grant "guides").


-- Jeff

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Henry's article that you refer to was first published in Miniature Wargames in, I think, 1987. It's one of my favorites that I've read again and again.

Best Regards,

Stokes