Monday, June 23, 2008

Basing

Basing has always been a big headache to me. Most of the sets come with a standard disclaimer: "these rules will work with any mounting system, as long as the opposing armies are consistent with each other."

Well, not really. The actual mechanisms of the game are always tailored on one basing system or another, and that does indeed make a difference in the way units move, deploy and maneuvre, or how casualties are assessed. For years, I have been torn on the issue. I looked for a system that could be appealing to my taste, and yet flexible enough to juggle different rules.

I believe I am now settled. A few years back, following the recommendation of my good friend Gonsalvo, I tried the Litko bases, and I fell in love with them. Durable and resistant, very easy to paint and to handle. They come in best variety, but for sake of simplicity I decided limit myself to four type of bases, no matter which period or forces.

Here's Desto Fante's standard:

-- rectangular base 0.75" x 1.5"
For infantry. This base accommodates three miniatures for the napoleonic, 19th century, colonial periods, and two miniatures for WW1 or modern conflicts. This solution is consistent with the old GDW WW1 "Over The Top" rules, and Piquet Barrage. This base is also perfect for individually mounted figures (i.e. officers, personalities, ADC);

-- square base, 1.5" x 1.5"
For artillery and cavalry (two horses);

-- square base, 0.75" x 0.75"
For individual figures in WW1, WW2 or modern armies. It also accommodates the occasional officer on foot for all other periods;

-- square base, 0.5"
For individual figures in certain colonial armies, where I want to retain the flexibility of individual casualties or characters (for instance, when playing "The Sword And The Flame.")



In the picture above, three of the Litko bases in use.

What I do NOT do:

-- I do not mount vehicles (i.e. tanks) on bases;
-- I do not mount multiple officer fiigures on one base, to recreate upper echelon of command. I'd rather keep two or three officers, individually based, next to each other. It adds variety.

No comments: