Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Roses for the "Minden Regiments"

It may take a little longer to complete my battle report from Historicon, but here a fascinating news item that has fascinated me. I had an exchange with the British Consulate-General here in Chicago earlier today, and the Public Affairs Officer kindly confirmed me of a "tradition" still alive to this day: every year since 1967, six red roses have been anonymously delivered to the British Consulate on 1 August, anniversary of the Battle of Minden in 1759. A note that comes with the roses lists the six British regiments that fought in the battle and says, "They advanced through rose gardens to the battleground and decorated their tricorne hats and grenadier caps with the emblem of England. These regiments celebrate Minden Day still, and all wear roses in their caps on this anniversary in memory of their ancestors."
The identity of the donor remains a mystery. (It's not me.) For more information, Wikipedia has a good entry on the battle.
Isn't it neat? Roses delivered to the Consulate for forty-five years?
Needless to say, I am now thinking to add the "Minden Six" to my SYW British regiments!

1 comment:

Bluebear Jeff said...

What a wonderful tradition . . . and, yes, add the regiments, sir . . . with roses!


-- Jeff